BC Blueberries in Season NOW!
Sweet and fresh BC Blueberries are in season now and many people are going to the farms to pick or buy their fresh farm blueberries!
Blueberries are such a versatile fruit, and having them in season now means you can get more creative with your everyday meals! The freshest, local ingredients are always the best to use, not only for your health, but also for the environment (think: 100-mile diet).
To get you on a roll with your new or soon-to-be discovered Blueberry Creativity, here are some great ideas to get you brainstorming:
- use whole in salads to give a sweet bite
- make a blueberry compote/syrup and put it on waffles, pancakes, french toast, or ice cream
- mix fresh squeezed blueberry and lemon juices and use as a light dressing for fruit salad or a green salad with blueberries in it
- use them whole for fresh blueberry tarts or pies
- make blueberry jam
- freeze them whole to use in the winter months
- freeze them in ice cubes to add to a pretty summer beverage (blueberry lemonade)
- blend them up and mix them with vanilla or plain greek yogurt with a bit of honey. Eat like that or freeze it for flavoured frozen yogurt
- use in smoothies to sweeten them up
We came up with a special recipe for the Blueberry Farmers of BC and made a Blueberry Oat Crumble and put them in mini Mason Jars for individual servings. It’s quick and easy to make as a last minute dessert!
Blueberry Oat Crumble Mason Jars (Yield: 12 Mini Mason Jars)
8 cups Fresh BC Blueberries
2 cups Granulated Sugar
1/2 cup Cornstarch
2 tsp Lemon Juice
1. In a saucepan, heat blueberries until they start to release their liquids. Add cornstarch to blueberries. Cook until thickened. Take off heat and stir in lemon juice.
Oat Crumble Topping:
250 g All Purpose Flour
560 g Brown Sugar
105 g Oats
300 g Melted Butter
1. Combine all ingredients and spread on sheet pans. Bake at 350°F for 5-10 mins or until golden brown.
2. Assemble in Mason Jars starting with a layer of crumble, followed by fresh blueberry compote, and again with more oat crumble.
3. You may garnish with fresh blueberries and lemon zest if desired.
How do you get your freshest local blueberries? Do you pick them yourself, go to the farm, or get them from you convenient grocery store? Let us know below!